Thursday, October 02, 2008

Summer Memories 1 : Tanabata

Here I will start a series of posts about the events that were worth posting while I was away from my blog. I will try to finish them asap before I drown into the business of the toudaisei life.

Tanabata the star festival is an occasion based on an old Chinese story about 2 stars that are separated by the milky way but are only allowed to meet once in a year.
In this occasion people hang their wishes on a tree hoping that they will come true.
See Tanabata on wikipedia here.
The Tanabata season starts around a week before the actual day that the story refers to.
In Tokyo, this day is the 7th day of the 7th month. (July 7th)
By the beginning of July, you start to see many bamboo trees in public places waiting for people to hang wishes on.
We had a tree in the International center of the university where I used to take the Japanese classes.


The tree in the International Center.
It was still new, only a few number of hanged wishes and other decorations..including "Fanoos Ramadan" if you notice well =p


My very smart wish=p
It says “I hope all my dreams come true “
You can hang any wish you can think of.."I want to be a panda" is also valid (^▽^)

The tree in the summer party of the Faculty of Engineering

In some shop I passed by


In a building in Shinjuku.
I had a reunion with my environment course friends I met last year.

The best part about it is writing with the brush on the tanzaku..I love writing kanji with brushes and if I get a chance I want to take shodou (calligraphy) lessons!!≧ω≦

That's all for today. See you next post.

8 comments:

Saemon 左衛門 said...

Ah Kanji-chan! you should have known kanau's kanji! It's very simple: 叶う!!

Amani AbuQdais أماني أبوقديس said...

Saemon san~ well I think KANAU is one of my ROK (READ ONLY KANJI) :D I recognize it when I see it but never tried to write it^^;

Anonymous said...

I like the ROK term. Right now its mostly no Kanji for me. Hopefully at one point I will get to the ROK level and then one day R/WK :)

YzN said...

very smart "wicked" wish Amani-san :P

and...Fanos Ramadan, there are many of them hanging!

I wonder what happens to all those papers after the festival finishes ?

Unknown said...

Cool

i wonder what happen to them too yzn san

if the festival was in Jordan they will burn it "hahaha~"

Qutaibah said...

very beautiful fesival and fanoos Ramadam
in first photo I can not that man and how carry his son :P

momiji said...

ROK kanjis! hahahaha very interesting!
I have many ROKs!

Amani AbuQdais أماني أبوقديس said...

Thanks everyone for the comments..well i don't know what happens when the festival is over..3al a3'lab biroo7o 3al kab^^;
but here waste is recycled so they become another form of less quality paper.