Saturday, May 03, 2008

3 in 1

To the right is my favorite 柿ピー, a mix of nuts and KAKI NO TANE (KAKI seeds).
Down you can see my rail pass.. I finally got my self a rail pass for one month which will allow me to use my route unlimited times during this 1 month. (I use the Inokashira, Ginza and Marunouchi lines to go to the university everyday)...the metro trip is a COLORFUL story..I think I will talk about it in some other post,,,I am developing an obsession with Tokyo Metro ^^;

Actually this pass made a big difference! It saves me trouble of buying a ticket at each station! + It's a good deal if I compare it with the price I pay for one month on the normal tickets..I also included Shimokitazawa in my route where I will need to go often for shopping.
I have this crazy idea of going one day and getting off at each station on my route to discover the area..




To the left is the Tuna Mayonnaise(ツナマヨ) ONIGIRI. T-sensei mentioned it multiple times in his blog, so I was confident when I bought it for the first time. I like it~

Actually my first meeting (better expressed as 初めての出会い w) with this tuna-mayo onigiri has its own story too:

Once I went out to have dinner a little late. (Late for dinner in Japan means after 7:00. I went at 9:00 pm)
I found that all the near by restaurants are closed, even my usual last resort, the McDonalds.
When I stood in front of it and realized that it was closed, I recalled some memories from last year when I was here for the youth exchange program. The same thing happened once when we(the Jordan delegation) decided to go eat out and found that most restaurants were closed.

Anyway, I went back feeling down and decided to stop by a KONBINI (convenience store) to get anything for dinner. I noticed there were ONIGIRI of different types (Different fillings). I looked for the Tuna-Mayo one and there it was! I also got another one with Salmon-Wasabi filling.
....And they lived happily ever after .. 笑
I owe the onigiri a lot~ =p

I am now 1 month old in Tokyo! kore kara mo ganbarimasu!


18 comments:

Unknown said...

cool its better to go in metro like that

the onigiri looks delicious

u should thank all people who closed the restaurants =D

Biraru said...

sou~ka~ ... I always wondered what is this 柿ピー ^^;

nice rail pass .. hontou ni useful ^^
you know .. we too .. have to use 2 or 3 buses to go to the university everyday ^^;

oishisou .. onigiri wa ^^
what are the other types of it ?

"And they lived happily ever after" .... mabrook :P 笑

Saemon 左衛門 said...

You know, I tried the Tunamayonigiri in this picture before going to Tokyo, and I didn't feel it was special at all. When I was in Tokyo with T-sensei, we went to the combini and I bought the tunamayo he buys and it's quite different and quite tasty too. It's round shaped, not triangle and the rice is brown, not white. This one tasted realllly good. I had it for suhur.. :p

Qutaibah said...

konnichiwa kanji chan
ONIGIRI =>like=> indomie in here but the small different when you eat it you must put your fingers on your nose & to press then dont leave your other hand from your eyes
(compared with onigiri)

Anonymous said...

Se7teeen 3la 2lbek
eltuna shaklha 7eloo bs el nuts! 3'reebeh shoi
:)
But do you find it ard to deal with food in Japan>>do you miss the food here,

ukyou said...

"cool music in the background"

"Ukyou rcommends Tuna Onigiri from 7 eleven!"

(laughs manically as he gets thousands of dollars for shameless promotion of 7 eleven Tuna onigiri)

Check the ingredients boys and girls!

Saemon 左衛門 said...

"Breaking news: thousands of mad school girls and boys dressed like Ukyou run to the nearest 7 eleven to buy tunamayonigiri"

Check the ingredients for the two no-noes! 酒 and 豚!

食べたらA'CAN'T!!

Amani AbuQdais أماني أبوقديس said...

2 comments about the ingredients and no-noes..
am I missing something? ^^;

Saemon 左衛門 said...

A large number of food and grocery products in Japan contain alcohol and/or pork. Most of the gelatin used in sweets is from 'buta' skin. I even found buta listed in the ingredients of fish-flavored chips! The same goes for alcohol.. many dishes contain alcohol and some bentou shops put nihonshu in the sushi and onigiri's rice.

Eating there can be a pain for a Muslim, but it can also be delightful if 'played right'.

ahh... washoku ga.. suki!

Biraru said...

Saemon san's Breaking news : " but it can also be delightful if 'played right'" ...

HOW ? ^^

Amani AbuQdais أماني أبوقديس said...

Saemon san,
Thank you. I am totally aware of that.
I just thought there was something wrong with the tsunamayo onigiri or the kakipi- thing!
I always check for the 2 no-noes kanji :)
4649!

Saemon 左衛門 said...

Oh no no! There's nothing wrong with the tsunamayonigiri..

That is, if you can accept rice and mayonaise in the same square centimeter.

Bilal-san, I'm not referring to anything in particular.. also I was there for only two weeks, so I don't have much experience. But if you love japanese food, you're gonna enjoy it, because there are many seafood and vegetable dishes (no need to worry about halal meat and pork).. just don't come near the rubbery stuff.. ikayaki and takoyaki.. Japanese people love them, but they're not good for us.. ewww.. I don't want to remember ikayaki..

Anonymous said...

Tuna onigiri is really delicious..I love it too!!

By the way, I noticed you are Wapanese...

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Japanophile

Doesn't this apply to you?lol

Amani AbuQdais أماني أبوقديس said...

mm san,
Thanks for your comment.
I am not Wapanese, Japanophile or whatever~ :)

Biraru said...

Saemon san
Sou~ka ^^
Arigatou for the advice , I'll consider that when I go to Japan in sha' ALLAH ^^

Anonymous said...

I think majority of muslim people in Japan are living in their own community and normally don't eat out.

So, it would be better and easier for you to stay inside their community and never eat at restaurants or buy foods at convenience stores for your safety.

hiro said...

柿ぴー! 笑 私は辛い味がちょっと苦手です。 柿ピーチョコ、知ってますか? 辛くて甘くて、ふしぎな味です。

Anonymous said...

Assalamualaikum.

I was searching for 'gelatin in onigiri' when I stumble into ur blog. Im a muslim living in Saitama n i have just arrived 2days ago. I have yet to know the kinds of food i can eat or not.. I have bought a mentaikou onigiri n i see 'gelatin derived from raw material' and I was wondering, can that be eaten or not. Hmm.. hehe anyone can tell me? Thanx :)