Saturday, March 20, 2010

家でやろう! Please do it at home!

I have been thinking to write about this for a very long time!

「家でやろう:: Please do it at home」 is a series of "Manner posters" that Tokyo Metro started since April 2008 and publishes one each month since that time.
You can see these around all stations along the Tokyo Metro lines.



The goal of these posters is to encourage "good manners" by pointing out "bad manners" that people should avoid while using trains.
In each poster,one bad behavior is pointed out in a very easy to understand picture, and a small message explaining that behavior is included.
Some examples :





What's so nice about these is that they directly hit the point!
I don't want to go through explaining how great Japan is and compare it to other places, but I believe that the first step for any improvement in any society is to ADMIT that there is something wrong that needs to be changed. This is where Japan succeeds and others,unfortunately, fail.
More are available on the Tokyo Metro page.

4 comments:

momiji said...

interesting! we also need a lot of posters here !!
i like the one of 「海でやろう!」:D

Samer said...

yes, when i was in Japan my friend in Osaka told me that in the past Japanese people used to fight their way into their commute, like people in Jordan often do, but that the government spent a lot of awareness campaigns and eventually the people's manners changed. I guess this is a continuation of this effort..

I love how trains now have their own motif of yellow/black/white drawings. It looks good :)

Anonymous said...

I'd like to learn Japanese. I'm going to a special school for it now. If you can help in anyway that would be nice. Thank you.

~Leah~

-check out my blog-

Amani AbuQdais أماني أبوقديس said...

Momiji
I couldn't help but laugh (eventhough i was alone)when I first saw the one of umi de yarou lol

Samer
yea~ for some reason remembered tarwee7et el 3 or 4 pm from JUST in Ramadan..
but anyway by other countries i meant Jordan among other countries~

LeahPeah
Thanks for your comment.
If you like contact me by mail and I can provide a number of useful links for you .