Saturday, June 14, 2008

Earthquake 震度6+/ Richter 7

My day started with an earthquake when I woke up to find everything in my small room is shaking.

According to the limited experience I gained so far, I would estimate it to be somewhere between shindo3 to shindo 4 .
I wasn't that scared because I thought it was one of the usual daily life shakes, rather I was thankful for it because it saved me from oversleeping since I have a lot of things to do.
But when I searched the net later on, I realized that it's not as simple as I thought.

In fact the earthquake center was near Iwate prefecture to the north and it measured shindo6+ (around Richter 7) there!
It was strong enough to make the shaking occur in Tokyo as well.




This picture shows the shaking intensity over the different regions of Japan
I always check this page after each earthquake, but I never saw the map this "colorful" before><

You can see the NHK news footage HERE.

I hope that you have noticed that in Japan the SHINDO(震度) scale is used which is different from the Richter one. More information HERE.

And to make this post more informative(or maybe thrilling (笑)) a big earthquake is expected to happen in the Toukai area..which is called the Toukai earthquake, since the last time a major earthquake hit this area was in 1854.

..Amazingly, I remembered that yesterday before I went to bed, I was wondering about the fact that no earthquake has occurred for a while.
Shouldn't think of this anymore! ^^;

11 comments:

Saemon 左衛門 said...

Thanks, this was both informative and scary.

Anonymous said...

Really...Al7amdoo lelah 3la elsalameh ... just don't think about earthquakes absense,
And what a method to make u wake up :)
Please be carfull next time >>>Before the "Toukai earthquake"!
I was planning to post somthing about the earth disasters and changes ... which we should look seriously towards it

Biraru said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
V!W! said...

地震か?
危ないですけど、起きた時僕まだ寝ていた。
*P

Durazi said...

salamat ma tshofeen shar:D

Qutaibah said...

Al7amdo lellah 3la salamtik
thanks God you are right

hiro said...

地震、こわいです!! 大嫌いです!  
kanji chan, you can't avoid earthquaked as long as you are in Japan! :(

Anonymous said...

Mom told me there was an Earthquake, I immediately thought of u!
shall i say Mabrouk :D? u had ur 1st quake :D?

Amani AbuQdais أماني أبوقديس said...

Thank you all :)
I hope this post was informative for all,, more than making you worried ^^;

V!W!,
ようこそ!
コメントをありがとう!^^

Samia chan,
ooh..well....thank you but...
lool this was not the first^^; I can't count them but I experienced more than 10 quakes since I arrived here.

MadeMyDay said...

even your post was very informative as you wished it to be I was really worried about you .. please take care :(

Biraru said...

oops .. sorry I didn't notice .. there was a typo so I deleted my comment but I forgot to write another one ^^;

الحمد لله على سلامتك
情報。。ありがとう ^^